As a homeowner, you might have concerns about renovation or maintenance project. Especially, for the kitchen, people want an aesthetic appearance that enhances the overall look.
For this purpose, granite is an astounding stone and a popular choice of homeowners and designers. You get a magical feeling while seeing the newly installed granite kitchen countertop that is done by you personally.
However, you must know the actual granite slab installation process along with the issues where granite restoration expert advice becomes essential.
From planning to selection and installation, let us discuss every bit of renovation for your guidance.
- Planning for Your Granite Countertop Installation
- Color Selection for Your Granite Countertop
- Step By Step Guide to Installing Your Granite Countertop
- Reasons To Consider Using an Expert Like RSK Marble & Granite
- Final Thoughts
Planning for Your Granite Countertop Installation
If you are planning to install basic granite countertop in your home, you are in for a treat. The feeling is the same as granite stone do not just look luxurious and stylish, it is durable and low-maintenance as well.
To get the best out of the new granite countertop, the process of planning and installation should go smoothly.
Follow these steps for those that are looking to do it yourself.
1. You should initially comprehend the space where the stone is to be installed.
2. After that, you need to analyze the underneath area. The cabinets should be installed permanently so that they can withstand the weight of the granite tile.
3. It is equally important to check the height of the counters where you are planning to install this natural stone. This is for ease as not everyone in the house is of the same height.
4. While planning for granite installation, you must have a template for the sink area. You can use Kraft paper for making template. This would be helpful in getting an idea of the exact spot where the slab of Granite ends and what is the actual size.
5. You may also have to unplug some of your electrical appliances in order to remove any hurdles that may impede the process of installation.
Other things to consider are the sink. You may need to replace your sink as it could get damaged when removing the previous countertop.
Of course, we do all this heavy lifting for you if you work with us for your next granite countertop project.
Color Selection for Your Granite Countertop
Granite is a versatile stone that comes in a variety of different colors and patterns. However, to enhance the beauty of your home, you need to select the right shade that matches the area.
You cannot deny the fact that the granite adds elegance and beauty but any wrong selection of color or pattern can turn out to be a design disaster and can suppress the overall look.
Specifically, for installing in the kitchen, you need to match the stone with underneath cabinets and any décor you have in it.
In order to select the right color and to get the best out of it, you should consider the following tips and tricks.
- Dark granite stones such as grey, black, or brown work best with light-colored cabinets and the area where there is little natural light.
- If you have dark cabinets or full blooming light, bright-colored granite stones having an earthy appeal would be the right choice.
- White granite stone is splendid with the all-white area where you have white cabinets and other decor items.
Step By Step Guide to Installing Your Granite Countertop
As said earlier, granite is a heavy stone and comes in a wide variety of colors. You need to be confident enough while getting ready to install the stone.
After planning and selecting the right stone, now you are ready to get the stone adjusted over the countertop area.
There are some important steps that need to be followed carefully for granite countertop installation project. In case of any mishap, you can consider consulting with us if this seems like too much tackle. We can help you with your granite countertop project.
The step-by-step guide to installing your granite countertop is discussed here for your assistance in a comprehensive manner.
Step 1 – Reinforce your countertop
- Buy a large piece of plywood that is exactly the same size as the countertop template you made while planning for granite installation.
- Place it on the top of the countertop area and push it against the wall. Mark the area on the plywood that needs to be trimmed.
- You have to use an electric circular saw for trimming. Be very careful while doing it.
- Cut the plywood as per the template. Do not forget to cut the sick area and edges as per your desire.
Step 2 – Attaching the plywood to the underneath cabinets
- After cutting the plywood, adjust it to the right position over the countertop.
- Make sure you have adjusted the plywood properly as per the exact template you have made earlier.
- Place an electric drill at one of the corners of cabinet braces.
- It is suggested to wear safety goggles while using the electric drill machine.
- Now drill the screws with a gap of every 8 to the inch. The plywood should be fixed well against the wall over the countertop.
Step 3 – Add waterproofing membrane over the fixed plywood
- Buy a good waterproof membrane along with a paint tray and roller for the installation of granite stone.
- Pour the substance into the paint tray. Apply a coat of waterproofing membrane on the entire surface of plywood.
- You need to leave it overnight so that it gets dry properly before stepping towards the further installation process.
- This waterproofing membrane will benefit in keeping away the moisture that can permeate the plywood.
- The moisture on the plywood can swell it up which can also end up in seepage.
Step 4 – Cutting and fitting the stone
- Place the granite slab over the countertop and check the area that needs to be trimmed.
- You need to be cautious enough while placing as the slab as the stone is heavy and there is a greater chance of breakage.
- Trace the needed cuts using tape or a whiteout pen. You can do it with the help of the template you have made for installation.
- With the help of the circular saw, cut the marked area.
- You would need a face mask for this process as it would be difficult for you to carry on otherwise.
- You must have someone with you who can hold the cut-outs in order to avoid falling it on the floor.
- At this stage, you would need a wet grinding wheel. It would help in smoothing the edges of the granite stone. You can easily make a rounded corner with a wet grinder wheel.
- Now, apply a bead of caulk adhesive and place the slab over the countertop. It will take around 12 hours to get adjusted properly.
Your brand-new and durable surface is ready to use after all these steps. By following these steps, you will save cost of labor and cost of installation.
Reasons To Consider Using an Expert Like RSK Marble & Granite
Installing a high-quality natural stone like granite needs significant investment. It is something a professional can do way better than someone new to it.
Surely, you won’t like wasting all your money and time doing something you are not pro at. Some of the reasons due to which you should consider using an expert include:
Proper Cutting & Fixing
Assuredly, as professionals, we know the best ways of using the right tools to get the job done flawlessly. There are very few chances of mistakes or improper cutting of the plywood and the granite stone surface as well.
You do not have to worry about the granite installation other than choosing the right color and designing. For your ease and convenience, we will do the job for you.
Protection Against Accidents
Since granite is a heavy slab, lifting and placing it is difficult. Our team of expert granite countertop installers will save you from any unwanted hassle of an accident.
Granite is a natural stone that is durable and versatile. In order to install the countertop surface, you must have to plan for it.
There are a few things that need to be kept in mind including the right choice of color, safety measures, relevant tools, and proper knowledge of using and installing.
In order to avoid any potential damage or mistakes, you can consult granite countertop professionals to do the job for you. they will create a dream kitchen surface for you.
If you want more professional assistance, please contact Boston’s Granite Countertop experts here at RSK Granite & Marble. You can reach us at 978-447-1001.